Everyone appreciates clean windows for enhancing the esthetics of a home. What most customers of a
professional window cleaning service seldom realize is it also helps provide early warning of problems
and might even save their lives some day.
Below are five reasons that hiring a professional window cleaning service can help keep your windows
sparkling and functional.
- Spotting general problems.First and foremost is identifying problems that need correction. Sashes painted shut, ill fitting screens,damaged or non functional window weights in older double hung windows and wood rot on sills are justa few problems that if spotted early can save big expense later.
- Removing insect infestations.Bees and hornets build nests behind shutters, wasps build paper nests in between older three-piecestorm windows and ladybugs also build nests in channels to winter over, making the window hard toLittle things like painted sashes and clogged channels might spell the difference between getting out in
case of fire or being forced to take another way out of danger in a very stressful situation.
- Extending the life of a window.Old aluminum screens left in place for years gradually etch a pattern of deposits on the glass, much likelime deposits in the shower. Not only is it unattractive, the etched glass is more prone to cracks andA simple treatment of muriatic acid or, in less severe cases, Barkeeper’s Friend and 0000 steel wool can
restore the glass to gleaming brilliance and add years to the working life of the window.
- Providing proper cleaning products.If you have leaded glass or stained glass you may be unintentionally damaging it by cleaning it with anammonia based store brand. Ammonia is a liquid abrasive and the main ingredient in a process calledWith repeated use, it clouds leaded and stained glass and that damage cannot be repaired. By having a
professional look at your windows, you will learn what is safe to use to touch up your own windows.
- Finding the causes of window spots.Spots on your glass? Your mulch may be to blame. Cheap mulches often are infested with a fungus aptlynamed shotgun fungus. When mature, the fungus shoots out black spores that glue themselves to glassand vinyl siding and are very hard to remove completely
- Improving the value of your homeAbsolutely! According to a survey of 2000 real estate agents conducted by HomeGain.comand reported on in Money Magazine, having your windows cleaned is one of the most cost-effective and high-return investments you can make on your home to get it ready to sell.